Share Market Today – Nifty today, Sensex Today
It has been a tough February so far for Indian equities. With that background, trade on February 20 brought some relief as stock indices ended in the green for the day – the first in nine back to back trading sessions. Positive sentiment from global markets and buying in sectors which have been pummelled in recent sessions led to the S&P BSE Sensex rising 1.14% and Nifty 50 cling up 1.24% for the day. The closing values of the indices stood at 35,756.26 and 10,735.45 respectively.
Opportunities for Indian Stocks
The gains were not restricted to blue chips; mid and small caps gained as well with the NSE Midcap 100 and NSE Small cap 100 ending up over 1% each. Meanwhile, the S&P BSE Mid and Small Cap indices were up by around 0.9% each. All sectoral indices on the BSE and the NSE rose as well.
Institutional investors remained net buyers of securities according to the data from the NSE. While FII/ FPI investors bought securities worth Rs 713.47 cr on February 20, Domestic Institutional Investors (DIIs) were net buyers to the tune of Rs 113.27 Cr. While FIIs/ FPIs have been net sellers of securities for the month of February so far, DIIs have been net buyers.
Good Stock Performers
The top five stocks in terms of the highest delivery percentage for the day were: Apollo Hospitals Enterprise, Petronet LNG, HDFC, LIC Housing Finance, and Castrol India.
Important Company Meets Expected
Among companies about to undergo analyst or board meetings are:
- Corporation Bank: Its board will meet on February 25 to consider raising of capital by way of preferential allotment of equity shares to the central government.
- India Home Loan: The company has called for an Extraordinary General Meeting to be held on March 16.
- JMT Auto: The company’s board will meet on February 25 to assess the results for the December quarter.
- Rallis India: Company officials will meet investors on February 21-22.
Indian Stocks Today
- Among stock related news, Anik Industries and Gopal Iron & Steels will declare their results on February 21.
- IL&FS Financial Services has expressed inability to service interest payment obligation on NCDs worth Rs 4.2 Cr.
- JSW Steel has witnessed a changed in outlook from Moody’s to positive; its ratings have been affirmed. The rating major has also affirmed Yes Bank’s ratings while changing the outlook from negative to stable. Meanwhile, it has upgraded Tata Steel’s corporate family rating by one notch to Ba2 from Ba3.
- The board of Bank of Baroda has set the date for issuing and allotting equity shares of the bank to the shareholders of Vijaya Bank and Dena Bank as for March 11.
What Do F&O Say for Indian Stocks?
For February 21, eight stocks will be in the ban period on the NSE in the F&O segment as they have crossed 95% of the market-wide position limit. These stocks are IDBI Bank, PC Jeweller, Adani Enterprises, Kaveri Seed Company, Jet Airways, Reliance Capital, Reliance Infrastructure and Reliance Power.