Dormant Barren Island Volcano

After a long 150-year of inactivity, Barren Island Volcano or the Andaman Islands is spotted erupting once again, confirmed the scientists of NIO. Located nearly 140 km northeast of the Andaman’s capital city Port Blair, India’s only active volcano – the Barren Islands volcano, is spotted erupting for some four hours in January this year, reported a team of scientists who are associated with the Goa-based National Institute of Oceanography (NIO).

The first eruption of Barren Island Volcano dates back 1787, and since then, the only confirmed active volcano of India has blown up more than ten times. After the first eruption, recorded in 1787, the site had erupted in 1789, 1795, 1803-2004, and 1852, 1991. After 1852, the volcano site remained inactive for nearly one and a half century, and then unexpectedly another big eruption took place in 1991, which lasted for some six months, resulting in substantial damages to both lives and properties.

However, after 1991, there was no sign of movement in the volcanic site. But back in January this year, the researchers noticed the eruption of red lava from the site. As per the report, published by the Press Information Bureau on Friday, the research team of NIO which was presented in the vicinity of the Barren Island Volcano on23rd January 2017, found the volcanic site exploding red lava sprays to a high altitude. For further research, the scientist team also collected the samples of volcanic ash.

The NIO team, head by Abhay Mudholkar has confirmed that Barren Island Volcano is spotted going off intermittently of nearly five to ten minutes, during the entire day. However, all through the day, the research team observed the ash cloud, created because of the eruptions. However, after sunset, they spotted red lava fountains blowing up from the hollow space of the volcanic site into the atmosphere, while the hot lava is spotted streaming down on the slope.

However, the research team was unable to land on the site because due to volcanic magma, the site was estimated to be “too dangerous”.